- Spare the rod and spoil the child. I heard it too many times in Ghana.
Do u beat your kids? I know many Ghanaian children are beaten. But why not?
Many experts have studied this and they found out a few things about why it’s very bad:
1. U kill curiosity in the kid. Curiosity is important when u wanna learn new. Curios people change the world to the better. They invent new things n try new ways. The modern world is changing so it’s important to be able to change.
2. U make distance to your child. For every time you beat, the distance gab become bigger n bigger. The kid don’t trust u n therefore don’t go to u when in trouble. Sometimes the beating was a mistake because the child was innocent. Then u can’t take the beating back. You can take words back not beating.
3. Beating don’t help. Kids don’t learn from beating. It won’t make them understand what they did wrong, so how can they change? The 8nly thing they learn is fear.
4. When you beat your child you teach them to solve problems by beating. We humans, we can talk.
5. Clever people talk unintelligent/ignorant people beat because don’t have words enough for debating.
6. The latest research shows that children who are beaten at home have a much higher risk of getting a bad/criminal as adults. Children who r not beaten has a much better chance of becoming good adults with strong jobs. So beating is a bad investment.
Can I beat the kid sometimes? NO.
What do I do in stead?
U talk to the kid n try make him/her understand why there’s a rule. U take away privileges like ‘stay in the house for 3 days’ or punish with xtra work. It won’t work as fast but it’s a much better way of bringing up strong children. The clue here is to mean what u say n be consequently.
One Ghanaian kid said: They can beat me I don’t care anymore!!! That means that her feelings r going numb. That she is getting cold inside. If u loose ur feelings u can’t feel when u hurts others.
From a religious point of view:
1. Spare the rod is from the old testament. It’s the Jewish’s religion. Jews live in Israel. In Israel they don’t beat the children.
2. The bible is old n written by humans. Human development n become more clever n humans make mistakes.
3. If Jesus walks the streets of Ghana n see YOU beating your child. Would he clap his hands n say ‘well done’ or would he cry? How can Jesus like beating? It’s against everything he did in his life.
You abranians are so lucky because the school stopped beating your children. Support your local school by being consequent when your kid is punished from the school. That will stop bad behavior.
If a teacher in Denmark beat a student he/she is fired the same day. If my neighbor beats her kids I MUST report it to the authorities who will try help the family. It’s not legal for parents to beat their children here.
Written By:birgitte zachrau