Honorable Mahama Ayariga Calls for Indigenisation of Science and Technology

By | July 19, 2015

Honorable Mahama Ayariga, Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation has called for the industrialization and indigenisation of science and technology in Ghana.  He bemoaned the importation of technology, which according to him was costing our economy so much. Honorable Mahama Ayariga made the call at the commissioning of the Central Laboratory of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology on 6th May, 2015.

Champion Divine Building

The newly-constructed Central Laboratory, also known as Champion Divine Building, cost GHC1,250,000. Dr. Kwaku Frimpong, the Chief Executive Officer of Champion Divine Clinic, contributed 25% of the cost and the University contributed the remaining 75% which was GH946, 343 from its internally generated funds.

Hon Mahama AyarigaHonorable Ayariga stated that until we indigenized, produced and exported technology to other people, we would continue to face many of the challenges that our economy was confronted with now. He challenged scientists to apply what they knew to resolve Ghana’s developmental challenges. He therefore charged KNUST with the burden of harnessing science and technology to resolve national problems.

He lauded the efforts of the University and Champion Divine Clinic for exhibiting the efficient use of resources in constructing the central laboratory. He noted that central laboratories were necessary and valuable since they enhanced the collaboration, sharing and partnerships of scientists for accelerated learning and national development.

The minister commended management and benefactors of the project and stated that having centralized laboratories in at least each regional capital would push research in Ghana forward, save resources and create opportunities for researchers. He called for more support for research institutions.

Prof EllisProfessor William Otoo Ellis stated that research was the core activity of staff of KNUST and thus it was important that the University stayed abreast of the changes in the field of science and technology by constantly upgrading its research facilities.

It was in this light therefore that the idea of a central laboratory was conceived in 2011 to focus on the centralization of equipment to keep up with changing trends in the research field. It was also to bring quality to the training of students and provide efficient service to industry and regulatory bodies as well as other stakeholders.

Prof. Ellis added that a centralized laboratory was the backbone to great research for national development. He thanked Dr. Kwaku Frimpong, Chief Executive Officer of Champion Divine Clinic, for his continuous support to the University.

Professor Mahama Duwiejua, the Executive Secretary of the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE), said it was through team work that the country’s problems could be solved. He therefore called for collaborative work among physical and social scientists for development.

Prof. DuwiejuaProf. Duwiejua, stressed that the University should produce high caliber and employable graduates with knowledge, skills and expertise for the socio economic development of Ghana. He advocated the inclusion of what he termed “soft skills”  such as creativity, innovation and communication which were crucial to the socio- economic development of Ghana and Africa.

The KNUST Central Laboratory also known as the Champion Divine Building is a shared research facility that brings state-of-the–art equipment to the doorsteps of scientists of varied backgrounds. It includes the main central laboratory, a greenhouse and three (3) satellite laboratories located at the Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, the School of Medical Sciences and the Faculty of Agriculture. The laboratory is open to other universities, the government and research organisations.

Photo Gallery of the Commissioning.